The road to the cottage

Friday 24 December 2010

Humbug

Started a post last week about the fabulous hand-dived scallops to be found in Lyme Bay and a wonderful micro-brewery called The Piddle - named after the river where the brewery is to be found; however the snow fell and the temperatures have remained firmly below zero, getting in and out of the village is virtually impossible and so we have slipped into hiberation/Christmas mode.  GW has courageously got out the motor to slither to Bridport to do a bit of shopping while I do something with the turkey.

The original plan was that my two children and one small grandson would come over for Christmas from Brussels so I ordered a small free range turkey locally.  We have all been following the weather forecast constantly, together with all the problems that the snow/ice has caused in England with the result that one day they would be coming, the next they weren't; yesterday looked positive and GW was going to do a round trip today and collect them.  The weather has gone downhill rapidly in Brussels where they have had a huge amount of snow and here is not much better so we decided to call the whole thing off and wait for the weather to improve.

But I have a turkey!  There is no way we are going to eat it in one go even with a greedy husband.  And I am not a fan of turkey, and even less of a fan of leftover turkey.  So I have just carried out major surgery, taking off the legs and the wings and tomorrow we will cook the crown traditionally.  We then have the rest that we can do things with in a proper way, rather than eating rather recycled turkey that becomes drier by the day!  So the giblets are stewing away quietly on the Aga ready for the gravy for tomorrow and I have put the carcasse in the oven to roast - a wonderful trick I learnt in the Perigord when I lived there years ago where the carcasse is left to go all crispy in the oven and then you rip off the bits of skin and meat with your fingers - lovely.  All I have to do now is make some stuffing, roast potatoes and brussel sprouts and that is it!  And cook the turkey crown of course.

This evening we will slither down to the pub for a Christmas Eve drink and listen to some live music and then struggle home again - I think there is a carol concert in the church and midnight mass but heathens as we are, the pub will win.

So a bit of a sad Christmas without my favourite children (and my dog) but at least we are all safe - the thought of all my loved ones on the road tonight would have been too worrying.

I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and from freezing, darkest Dorset I send you all the very best of everything for the New Year.

3 comments:

  1. Much better to avoid travelling given what i can see of the weather in Europe...still, you get two bites of the cherry...one now and the other when they arrive.
    Best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best too! I did come over, and have caused my parents untold worry, travelling around through snow and ice. Don't know when I'm going to be able to get back home, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my old Marmite blog. I was so pleased to hear from you as I couldn't remember the adress of your one. My new blog launched yesterday and is to be found at www.therivercottagediaries.blogspot.com. Hope to see you over there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments please! Don't be aggressive - I will edit it out!