The road to the cottage

Thursday 23 June 2011

I love the NHS

Not much happens in this little village, so the sound of a siren is headlines.  Either it is an ambulance coming to take someone to hospital or the police chasing someone through the twisty lanes as they drive 'the backway' home after drinking that extra pint.

The siren this morning came straight here and it is a most pleasing noise.   GW felt a tightening across the chest and constriction in his throat. 

- I think I'll drive to the A&E in Dorchester.
- Mmmm ... I think not.  I will call you an ambulance.
- Let me think about it.
- You have three minutes.
(Three minutes later)
- Perhaps you had better ring them.

So ring I did and got a comforting and competent voice on the 'phone asking for details and then asking if it was possible to talk to GW.  In the meantime the ambulance was on its way.  In under 10 minutes it arrived, the crew jumped out, collected all their bags and within three minutes he was hooked up to the ECG machine, blood pressure and lots of other beepy machines.  Half an hour later off he went to the hospital.

They ran tests on him through the morning, he is now in a ward chatting to everyone (I'm sure they will discharge him just to get rid of the talking!), and he is waiting for more blood tests to be done this evening as apparently the enzymes peak at 6pm - don't ask me, I know nothing about it.

He is staying in overnight as something did show up on the first lot of blood tests and they might even keep him in for a couple of days.

I am delighted he is in hospital as that is where one needs to be and funnily enough I am not too worried - if he was feeling dodgy at home I would really be panicky.  He has free local 'phone calls, he was studying the menu and wondering whether someone would bring him a wine list, so tomorrow I will either collect him or take in grapes!

Thank you the NHS - you have been brilliant, caring, efficient and kind.

5 comments:

  1. Nice to hear something positive about the NHS. I think it's generally accepted that they do emergencies really well. I know they were marvellous when my mother had her mini strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things went so smoothly, and sending best wishes for GW's speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I have just discovered you. We have been living in Spain for 6 years and for the last year we have rented in the UK as I miss the children who are all here. I was wondering whether we should stick with Spain as it seems impossible to sell at present - but your comments just reminded me of how I felt when I first returned and was able to connect with people who speak my language and understand my culture. It is a strange thing this feeling of coming home. And Oh yes the Aga is vital and you appreciate the NHS when you've not had it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GW is off for his angiogram this morning - he has been in the hospital six days so is feeling pretty bored! So we shall see what the outcome is.
    @LyndaA - I think there are quite a lot of people like you Lynda who would like to come back but are stuck with negative equity. I was away for 30 years and never thought I would want to come back, but here I am, albeit in a very privileged part of England, and I love it. And the NHS has been wonderful - GW has had to wait because there are the emergency cases and the outpatients (bit like stacking at Heathrow airport) but maybe it's a good sign - this is how I am seeing it at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes for GW.
    Agree about the NHS...it has been super for my mother who had a hip replacement at 94 and is due a knee replacement this summer at 95 after which, her surgeon said cheerfully, she will be good for another ten years or more!
    She has had first class care with an organisation sensible enough to see that keeping her independent is not only the cost effective answer, but also the civilised one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments please! Don't be aggressive - I will edit it out!