The road to the cottage

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Where is it?

I love snow.  You don't live high in the Swiss Alps as we did if you are allergic to the stuff.  Okay, Dorset is not reknowned for metres of snow but it seems the whole country apart from us is covered in it.  We had a dusting last week which is still here thanks to zero temperatures and that bitter northerly wind, but now I want to see evidence of why we are freezing.  I am lucky in that I don't have to venture out the house to go to work and find that there are cars skidding everywhere or that the trains have been cancelled, so I can enjoy the snow.  I still have all my Swiss gear but have yet to lay my hands on a decent pair of gloves or one of my silly hats so perhaps it is time to dig deeper into the removal boxes ...

I'm not quite sure how we would get out of the village if we did have snow - I don't think snowploughs or gritters will be seen here.  The lane into the village is extremely steep so no-one would get up or down that without reshaping their car - there is the lane that leads south from the village which is fairly flat so I suppose everyone uses that.  How we get out of the drive is possibly another concern - it is very steep with stone walls on either side and at the best of times I have a foot either side of the car - if the motor goes into a slide ...

The birds are looking rather hungry, so I am out making sure they have enough food - when I put it out there seems to be no-one around but within two minutes all my locals are there gobbling up food as fast as they can.

So I will spend the rest of the day scrutinising the clouds, checking on the temperature and watching the weather forecast - perhaps I ought to go and do some shopping before we get snowed in!  And of course buy some cat litter - not that we have a cat, but to keep in the car as it is great if you have tyres that are whizzing round and going nowhere.

 Just a photo of Angus when we lived in Switzerland - like most dogs he loves snow.  Throw him a stick and he just looks at you - throw him a snowball and he becomes demented!

5 comments:

  1. Weather is one of the challenges of living in the deep countryside, isn't it. My mother has friends who live north of Newcastle in the middle of nowhere up a mile-long track through two gates. They are both in their 80s so heaven knows what they'd do if, snowed in, they got into trouble. One doesn't drive either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sarah - I think they might be in the thick of it, literally. Let's just hope that neighbours think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I love snow, and I've been waiting impatiently for it to arrive! I live in what is considered the coldest province of Spain, but it didn't start snowing here until last night. I love watching the snow fall outside (note that I love seeing snow from the warmth of indoors:)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Pueblo girl - the instant I hit the 'publish' button, it started to snow! But it's not real snow, just thin, sleety looking stuff and of course it warmed up by one degree so it's turning to water ... time to rush to the shops as I think it will be a skating rink round here tonight. Thank goodness the pub is within walking distance!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked to look at it...and it was fun going out to the poultry run first thing and seeing just who else had been walking in the snow before me....bird feet fine..the duck stealer's wellies...not fine!

    I was showing friends here pics of the house and garden under snow...and they were all shocked!
    How could we live with such conditions!

    ReplyDelete

Comments please! Don't be aggressive - I will edit it out!